Tuesday 22 March 2016

Davitts - 1916 Proclamation & The Irish National Anthem

With the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rebellion fast approaching I am posting a few rare albums of material relating to this event. This is the first containing three poetry readings of poems written by the leader of the Rebellion Padraig Pearse. Also a reading in English of the 1916 Proclamation. Well worth a listen.

"But I will speak their names to my own heart
In the long nights;
The little names that were familiar once
Round my dead hearth.
Lord, thou art hard on mothers:
We suffer in their coming and their going;
And tho' I grudge them not, I weary, weary
Of the long sorrow-And yet I have my joy:
My sons were faithful, and they fought."

Excerpt From "The Mother" by Padraig H Pearse

1 1916 Proclamation (English Version)
2 Soldier's Song (Short Version)
3 The Mother (Padraig Pearse)
4 Soldier's Song (English Long Version)
5 The Rebel (Padraig Pearse)
6 Amhrainn Na Bfhiann (Gaelic Version)
7 To My Mother (Padraig Pearse)

link to the free album

No comments:

Post a Comment